Senin, 01 April 2024

in a cafe that night (cerpen)


A quaint little cafe filled with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the soft chatter of patrons. In a corner booth sit JASON, a charming but somewhat scatterbrained man, and his girlfriend, LISA, who is equally charming but slightly more together.


(((1)))


Jason: (Nervously) So, what do you want to order, babe?


Lisa: (Excitedly) Oh, I don't know! Surprise me!


Jason: (Pauses, then with a devilish grin) How about... the most expensive thing on the menu?


Lisa: (Gasps playfully) Jason!


Waitress approaches.


Waitress: (Cheerfully) What can I get you two today?


Jason: (Energetically) Two of your finest coffees, please! And whatever that delicious-looking dish is over there.


He points to a plate of pastries.


Waitress: (Laughs) You mean the tiramisu? That'll be $12.


Jason: (Pauses, then with a sheepish smile) Actually, make that two tiramisus.


Lisa: (Mouth agape) Jason, we don't have that kind of money!


Jason: (Nonchalantly) Don't worry about it. It'll be a treat!


Lisa: (Resigned) You're hopeless.


Their laughter fills the cafe as the waitress leaves.


(((2)))


The cafe has filled up. Jason and Lisa sit huddled together, looking somewhat flushed and guilty.


Waitress: (Approaches, stern-faced) Your checks, please.


Jason: (Panics) Uh, hold on! Let me just...


He frantically searches his pockets.


Lisa: (Whispering urgently) Jason, we don't have any money!


Jason: (Desperately) I know, I know! But don't worry, I'll figure something out!


Waitress: (Impatiently) Well?


Jason: (Reluctantly) Okay, okay. We'll just... split the bill, I guess.


Lisa: (Glares at him) You mean you'll pay for it.


Jason: (Defensively) Well, I can't very well let you pay!


Waitress: (Smiling) $24.


Jason: (Gulps) Alright, give me a second.


He fishes around in his wallet.


Lisa: (Whispering to the waitress) He doesn't have any money.


Waitress: (Laughs) Well, you two certainly know how to make an evening interesting!


(((3)))


The cafe is now emptying out. Jason and Lisa, looking somewhat rumpled, share a laugh over a shared plate of leftover tiramisu.


Lisa: (Smiling) You know, I think this is the most memorable date we've ever had.


Jason: (Grinning) Me too, babe. Even if it wasn't quite the way I planned.


They share a kiss, the tension of the evening finally melting away.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar